SAINT WALFRID CHURCH
Tourist site around the theme of Sacred art in SARREGUEMINES, classified in the list of historic monuments, free entrance
It is commonly thought that the Welferding’s church has been built in 1221. Until the end of the ancient régime, it came under the power of the archpriestry of Saint Arnual and it was the mother-church of numerous towns until 1802, when it has been tied up to Sarreguemines. It is administrated by the Benedictine monks from the abbey of Tholey until the Revolution. The architecture of its church comes from the roman influence; a priory used as an accommodation for the monks. The church served as a warehouse for the military hospital in the Maison des Dîmes (House of Tithe) during the Revolution. It has been damaged and rebuilt to be devoted to the worship. The surface of the chorus has been enlarged, the façade has now an empire style, a new bell-tower in an onion-shape reminds the one of the church of the abbey of Tholey, the three naves reunited under a common roof, and it almost looks like the church you can admire today. The church is named Saint Walfrid from the name of the patron saint of the parish. Walfrid was archbishop from York in England in th 8th century. Going through the region to reach Rome, he took a rest at his friend’s Dagobert II, king of Austrasie (former name of the north-east of France), in Metz. Taking profits from Metz’ Court, Tholey’s abbey will give the name of Saint Walfrid to one of its possession.