GROUPE FORTIFIÉ DE GUENTRANGE
Tourist site around the theme of Military interest in THIONVILLE
Guentrange Fort, constructed by the Germans between 1899 and 1906, has three barracks and two artillery sections of four 10cm canons. The fort was constructed with a view to protecting Thionville and its large rail network against any French attack. Although having an extremely important strategic role to play, the Fort was not attacked during the First World War. Having passed under French control after the 1918 armistice, it then formed part of the Maginot Line in 1930. In 1940, the Germans renovated the fort and used this as a depository and workshop, before it was finally taken over by the US Army in 1944. After the War, the fort was used as a weapons store for the 25th artillery regiment. Since 1971, it has no longer been used for military purposes. Thanks to the efforts of Thionville and the Amicale du Groupe fortifié de Guentrange, it has become a monument for remembrance tourism in Lorraine.